(Photo by Angel Rathell)
A lot of us have found ourselves unexpectedly homeschooling! This new responsibility can be overwhelming and even intimidating but on the bright side, it’s exciting being given the opportunity to spend more time with your family and taking on the responsibility as your child’s primary educator. Don’t worry you’ve got this!
Here are some general tips:
- Have fun! You won’t be able to replicate their classroom structure and that’s okay! Some days you may accomplish more than others and that’s also okay!
- Have patience with yourself and your children and allow them to have input on what they want to learn and tailor your lessons around their needs.
- Get creative and crafty! Right now Pinterest is your friend!! Providing time for creativity will allow your children to express themselves, promote self-confidence and individuality, develop motor skills and bonding time!
- If you don’t do this already incorporate quiet times into your routine so everyone has time to unwind.
- Last but not least, make time for hugs! Things are admittedly kind of difficult at this time and your children may or may not fully understand what’s going on. Make sure that their mental health is just as important as their education!
While all of our branch locations are closed the library’s goal is to continue to be a support system for our community by providing resources to help families during this time. Below is a list of FREE
resources to keep your family busy with virtual tours, online storytimes, PE and Art classes, science projects and much more! These are categorized by age/grade level. If you are in need of homeschool inspiration or want to become more knowledgeable about empowering your children during this time, understanding their learning styles or even a craft idea to try, check out other Homeschool Hub posts: Learning Styles, Building Confident Kids, and Snow Dough Craft!
While you’re at it, be sure to sign up for a library card
and check out our E-Books, E-Movies, E-TV, and more!
Grades K - 12
do it yourself videos/courses
Free online live tutoring (you will need a library card).
Writing & Grammar (parents must create a teacher account then sign their child up as a student)
Preschool / Kindergarten
Ages 2 - 8
ABC Mouse -
Code: SCHOOL7771 (free membership code during COVID-19)
Grades K - 8
Grades 2 - 6
Grades 4 - 8
Grades 3 - 12
Grades 6 - 12
Government / social studies based games
Actively Learn -
Interactive reading (free until the end of school year)
Khan Academy -
Videos and guides on different subjects (math, history, etc.) / test practice (ACT, etc.)
Parents / Educators
Quest Club -
Homeschool Curriculum website (free through May 31st)