Review each training module tab below and then complete the assessment:
- A vinyl cutter cuts designs out of vinyl and other supported materials.
- Although vinyl cutters often behave like desktop printers, they use a blade to cut the designs into the material instead of printing the design on the material.
- The vinyl cutter is attached to a computer and a computer program tells the cutter how to cut the design into the material.
- The program that comes with our vinyl cutter is called VinylMaster. It can be used to prepare your image to cut.
- The vinyl cutter uses a sharp blade to cut. Keep body parts, clothing and other personal items away from the space where the carriage arm operates.
- Do not leave the vinyl cutter unattended while it is cutting your image.
- When you have finished using the vinyl cutter, turn it off.
- Only the Idea Factory librarian is allowed to change the cutting blade and the cutting pressure on the vinyl cutter.
3D Printing Basics
- Parts of the 3D printer can get very hot.
- Do not touch the extruder
- To melt the plastic, the metal nozzle where the plastic comes out gets up to 250 degrees C (482 degrees F). DO NOT TOUCH
- The print bed is also heated and can get warm to the touch.
- If you experience a burn (or other injury) while using the printer, notify a librarian immediately.
- If something is going wrong with the printer, turn it off.
- Do not pull the filament out of the printer
- Do not try to physically stop the printer.
- When you have finished using the 3D printer, turn it off.
- Only the Idea Factory librarian is allowed to change the filament in the 3D printer.
Laser Cutting Basics
- For safety reasons, this machine can only be operated under the direct supervision of a librarian.
- Watch Video: K40 Safety Questions
- Never turn on the laser (laser switch or test switch) while the cover is open.
- Always use safety goggles when observing the laser through the glass. Looking directly at the laser without eye protection will damage your eyes.
- Never leave the laser cutter unattended while it is operating.
- When you have finished using the laser cutter, turn it off.