Mindfulness, simply put, is the process of calming our mind to better accept and understand how we feel. It can be a good way to clear our thoughts enough to think of a solution or to simply recognize what we can and can’t control. Why is this important? Teaching children to be mindful can be an easy way to help them feel less stressed, more in control, and more focused.
Ways to practice mindfulness with children:
- Belly breathing - lay on the floor with a stuffed animal on your stomach and breath in and out to raise the toy up and down.
- Breathing Boards - trace a shape to learn the timing to breathe in and out.
- STOP method - Stop, Take a breath, Observe your surroundings and the situation, and Proceed.
- Make a Glitter Jar - fill a mason (or other) jar with water and add multiple colors of glitter (of food coloring) to represent what our minds are like when our thoughts are running wild.
- Guided Meditations - Find a full list of Youtube videos HERE
- Yoga - Full list of Youtube videos HERE
- Mindfulness Scavenger Hunt - Find things around the house and make it a game!
- TALK! Discuss things that we can and can’t control and emotions and how to control them.