Laptops can be placed on hold by calling (719) 562-5600.
PCCLD Laptop Lending Program:
1. Why is the Library lending Laptop computers? Due to the increasing popularity of computers the Pueblo City-County Library District decided to use funding from a Broadband Technologies Opportunity Program (BTOP) grant to purchase 44 laptop computers. After successfully launching the program with BTOP funding additional iPads have been purchased for all PCCLD branch locations. We hope that giving individuals an opportunity to use these computers will assist in developing productive information literate members of society.
2. Who can borrow a Laptop from PCCLD? A Pueblo County Resident, 18 years of age or older that holds a valid PCCLD card that has been active for at least 90 days, and is in good standing. Borrowers MUST also present a valid photo ID at time of checkout.
3. What will happen if I return a laptop to PCCLD library other than the one I checked it out from? There is a fine of $10.00 if the laptop is not returned as directed at the time of checkout. This includes if the laptop is returned to a location other than the one that laptop was borrowed from or if the laptop is put into a book drop.
4. Why do you require a picture ID in addition to my library card? Due to the high replacement costs of these devices PCCLD requires a second verification of your identity at the time of checkout. This is meant to protect our patrons from having a lost library card used to fraudulently checkout a device.
5. Why am I required to sign a borrower’s agreement to check this item out? Signing the Borrowing Agreement indicates that they have read, understood, and agreed to the conditions of use.
6. Is there a fine for a late return? Yes. The late fine for a laptop is $20.00 per day. There is also an additional fine of $10.00 if the laptop is returned to a location other than where the device was borrowed or in a book drop box.
7. Where can I checkout and return a Laptop? Laptops can only be checked out and returned at designated service desks at each library location. Electronic devices are available at the Rawlings Public Library and all branch locations throughout Pueblo County. Laptops must be returned to the service desk where it was borrowed.
8. What is the replacement cost for a lost or stolen Laptop? The full replacement charge for damaged, lost, or stolen laptop is $800.00. Individual item costs include: $25.00 for the power cord; $30.00 battery; $30.00 for the carry case.
PCCLD Laptop Computers:
1. What is the Laptop’s battery life? Depending on what programs are being utilized the battery can last between 4-8 hours.
2. How can I charge the battery? To charge the battery on the laptop use the power cord and adapter included in the case.
3. How do I connect to my home Wi-Fi? On the desktop is a network icon. Click this icon to setup a wireless connection. After double clicking the icon you will need to select the Wi-Fi hotspot you wish to connect to from the list. If the network is protected you will need to enter your access information.
4. How do I turn the Laptop On/Off? The power button is located directly above the keyboard on the right side.
5. What programs are installed on PCCLD Laptops? Laptops are preloaded with many of the programs installed on PCCLD Public Accesses Computers. This includes Microsoft Office 2007 (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). For a complete list of software please visit our website online at: www.pueblolibrary.org .
6. Can I save my work on a PCCLD laptop? No. You will need to use an external storage device such as a USB/Flash drive to save your work. Anything added to the laptop will be deleted when the device is reset by library staff upon check in.
7. How do I access the Internet on a laptop? You must be connected to an internet connection through a wireless or wired network. Once you are connected to an internet access point use the Microsoft Explorer program to access the internet.
8. Can I add software to PCCLD laptop? No. Similar to public access machines at PCCLD libraries all laptops have been locked to not allow downloading onto them.
9. Which PCCLD Online Services/ Resources are compatible for use on each of the devices?
|Resource||Apple iPad||Acer Laptop||Barnes and Noble nook|
|Freegle (Downloadable Music)||No||Yes(External Drive/Device Required)||Yes (Computer Required)|
|Downloadable Audio Books||No||No||No|
|Downloadable e-books (Public Domain)||Yes (Direct Download available)||Yes(External Drive/Device AND Adobe Account Required)||Yes (Computer Required)|
|Downloadable e-books (Library Downloadable)||Yes (Direct Download available AND Adobe Account Required)||Yes(External Drive/Device AND Adobe Account Required)||Yes (Computer Required)|
|PCCLD Online Databases||Yes||Yes||No|
10. Can I use my USB drive, Flash drive, or CD-Rom with this laptop? Yes. Each laptop includes a CD-Rom drive and several USB ports. You will need to save all of your files to an external storage device.
11. How do I print from a PCCLD laptop? Currently these laptops do not support printing directly from them. To print a document please save the item to an external drive and use a printer connected computer. If you are utilizing the laptop in the library please feel free to bring your external drive to the information desk and have one of the staff print for you at 10 cents a page for Black & White printouts.
12. How do I clean the laptop screen and keyboard? Please use a soft dry cloth or a cleaning wipe specifically designed to clean electronic devices.
13. Are there mice available to use with this laptop? No. PCCLD does not supply mice for use with the laptops. To navigate the screen use the track pad and buttons located below the keypad.
14. Can I connect external drives or equipment? Yes depending on the device. If the external device does not require additional software to be loaded onto the computer then it should be able to work with the computer.