

PUEBLO CITY-COUNTY LIBRARY DISTRICT BOARD OF TRUSTEES
WORK SESSION MINUTES
Tuesday, March 19, 2019

I. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL

Ms. Martinez, President, called the meeting to order at 2:01 p.m. in the Ryals Room at the Rawlings Library.

Board Members Present: Marlene Bregar, Lyndell Gairaud, Stephanie Garcia, Phil Mancha, Doreen Martinez, and Fredrick Quintana

Attorney Present: Kate Shafer, Attorney – Gradisar Trechter Ripperger & Roth

Staff Present: Jon Walker-Executive Director, Sherri Baca-Chief Financial Officer, Sarah Rose-Chief Operating Officer, Terri Daly, Human Resources Manager, Midori Clark-Community Relations Director and Sean Miller, I.T. Department.

II. CORRECTIONS OR MODIFICATIONS TO THE AGENDA

None

III. WORK SESSION DISCUSSION ITEMS

A. PCCLD Security

Sara Rose (Chief Operating Officer) will provide an update report on progress to implement 2018 PCCLD security initiative.

Sara Rose presented from a slide show.

Sara Rose: A year ago we took on the project of moving security and courier services from being contracted services to in house. This is an update on what has transpired. The purpose of the project was to increase our security hours and the quality of our security service. We liked the idea of being able to hand select, train and develop our own security staff as well as introduce them to the library culture. In terms of the services, we realized a big cost savings by doing it ourselves. We hoped to decrease delivery times of materials by combining security staff and courier staff. In effect you might be a security officer/courier and perform both of those functions. Contracted services combined totaled \$190,952. The proposed in house system came to about the same cost at \$189,124. We planned to transition to in-house services by April 1st. Projected implementation cost was \$189,581 for the year. We did not get fully implemented by April 1st so there were several months that we relied on both contracted services and our partially staffed security department. We developed a sub pool to be able to fill in for before and after hour events as well as absences. We added fencing to Rawlings courtyard to help offset the urban camping that was going on in that area. We were fully staffed with our security team by Sept 24th with 3 subs hired by end of year. We did work on revising the suspension process to allow more time to do investigations and checking on patrons' history with us. All our security guards have a lot of experience with security or are retired law enforcement. The hand selection of the officers really made a difference in the quality of security that we are getting. One advantage is that we actually have a 35% increase in security hours. The security guards are currently doing online training on "Libraries Guides to Homeless". All of our security officers know how to work our security cameras. They are also building good relationships with law enforcement. They check in with us and have gotten to know our security team well. We also participate in the Front Range Library Security Group and attend the quarterly meetings. The advantages to the courier services is that it is certainly more cost effective. There is a greater level of accountability, better management of training and of the internal controls of our cash carriers. We are also seeing less damage to materials. Looking ahead into 2019, we did have a reduction to the courier/security budget to \$172,276. We also have a goal to develop a security procedure manual as well as to monitor security data. Any questions?

Stephanie Garcia: When you are looking at your data, how often is police involvement necessary?

Sara Rose: I do not have a statistic for how often but we have started to track that now. It is infrequent, most incidents are handled without police involvement. When we do have police

WORK SESSION AGENDA

February 19, 2019

involvement it is a low percentage.

Doreen Martinez: I think the presence of the security guards has been really beneficial. I am noticing that what we had talked about during the planning stages has come to fruition. I feel like there is a friendly face and a level of safety that can be felt when you walk into the building especially here at Rawlings. I think all of your hard work is showing and I think that the public can feel it. It also looks like financially we are doing better because of this transition, so thank you for all your hard work.

Sara Rose: Statistically we are seeing change as well. We will have to gather more data for a longer period of time to really understand what the implications of that are. For instance in 2017 and 2018, we had 30 suspensions per year and we have had 30 suspensions already this year. I think it is due to more security hours and better at keeping an eye on what is happening.

Stephanie Garcia: Are there any trends on Fridays with District 60 going to 4 day week?

Sara Rose: We have more kids in the library, but I don't think it has increased incidents in the library.

B. Promissory Note

An update report will be provided on the Giodone Promissory Note.

Jon Walker: Just a reminder, when we built the Giodone Library 5 years ago, one of the transactions that occurred was a land transaction where land was sold to the Giodone family and a promissory note was issued to the family. They have been making payments to the library district as a part of that promise and now all of the payments have been made.

Kate Shafer: About a month ago, Sherri Baca notified me that their last payment was made and it was paid in full. We took the original promissory note and marked it paid in full and sent it to the Public Trustee to get the released Deed of Trust. It has been recorded with Clerk and Recorder and the originals have been returned. Jon Walker will send a letter to the Giodone family to return the original Promissory Note with a copy of the released Deed of Trust.

C. Community Engagement

An update report will be provided on community engagement meetings.

Jon Walker: Referenced sign-up sheet for community leaders meetings that are scheduled in the board packets. You will see that there are 22 scheduled meetings/focus groups with the times and locations listed. I appreciate Trustees signing up for these and being a part of these discussions. The first one was today and it went well. Lots of support for the library. I want to thank Marlene Bregar and Phil Mancha for being there. On the second page you will see the scheduled focus group meetings at each library. I had asked the branch librarians to contribute about 10 names of "power users" of their library. Those list of names have been invited to these listed focus groups where we will talk about the challenges and opportunities for the library district. Having a Trustee available at each of those would be very helpful. Referenced flier of #Pueblolibraryproud which was in each board packet. This is a handout that talks about the impacts the library faces, financial considerations at this time, as well as possible options. This is something that we just produced. Let us know if you have any feedback. This will be used as a handout for the community. Again, I really was pleased with the response today from City Councilman Ray Aguilera. Hopefully they all go that way. The nature of these conversations is to talk about our challenges and opportunities and to ask for feedback. I also shared the polling data. The polling data was pretty persuasive. Part of this outreach is us just saying "we need your support". Also, at the next board meeting,

WORK SESSION AGENDA
February 19, 2019

the attorney that we employed to provide legal counsel in regard to election law in Colorado will be presenting. He will provide information on the process if we decide to go with the election.

D. Legal Counsel

The Board of Trustees will review a draft Request for Proposal to solicit PCCLD legal counsel representation.

Jon Walker: Referenced Action-Discussion Item III.D in board packets. This document is seven pages and made up of standard language that we use on our RFP's. A couple of places I want to point are page 2 of 7 "Overview" paragraph 1a. This gives a general overview of what this RFP is for. Then reference "the scope of work" on page 7 of 7. The scope of work is what sets this RFP apart from other requests for proposals. You will see #8 on page 7 talks about the district is seeking general legal counsel and a description is included. This document is a draft, so it is intended to be edited. I did borrow some of the language from the contract that was in place with Nick Gradisar. Also I want to remind the Trustees that as you think about this, keep in mind this is for general legal counsel and that the library district does also employ special legal counsel as needed. I would recommend that we continue to obtain general legal counsel. My recommendation is that you would authorize an RFP to go out in the near future. There is no time line listed on page 2 of 7. Whenever you decide if this is what you want to go out, we can then create a time line. I would expect you would issue the RFP and leave it out for responses for about a month, then close that response period, take a few weeks to evaluate those and maybe conduct interviews. So it would probably take another month or so for the decision process.

Phil Mancha: I want to ask Jon Walker to talk a little about the minimum qualifications? How did you decide the minimum qualifications listed on page 4 Paragraph C?

Jon Walker: They need to be licensed to practice law in Colorado. The idea behind needing 5 years' experience is to show they have a history here in Colorado with references we could check. Being licensed in Colorado for some time is important because Colorado law may vary from other states. Item number 2 which addresses their ability to perform is important because we want them to show that they will be here and that they will be reliable and able to attend meetings.

Marlene Bregar: With regard to the meetings, I noticed in scope of work on page 8 if you go down to about mid paragraph it says "additional terms of engagement include periodic attendance at the Board of Trustee meetings". I would ask that we consider taking out the word periodic, because I think the expectation would be that they attend all board meetings.

Jon Walker: One way to proceed would be for you to take this document with you and provide feedback offline and I will incorporate that feedback and bring it back at the next work session.

Phil Mancha: I think it would be good to have a committee set up to be responsible for handling this process. They can set the time limits, process for interviews, etc.

Jon Walker: So my recommendation along that line would be that whomever from Trustees would like to participate with this RFP include the executive director, Sara Rose and Sherri Baca from staff.

Stephanie Garcia: Can Trustees send comments to Jon Walker and he bring those back to the next Board meeting and have it up for vote?

WORK SESSION AGENDA

February 19, 2019

Jon Walker: We will get feedback from everyone, then Frederick Quintana, Sara Rose, Sherri Baca and myself will review it and bring back to board meeting on Thursday, March 28th. If you have any comments email them to Jon Walker. We might add on page 2 language about interviews and a time line.

Doreen Martinez: We will set it for an action item for the next board meeting.

E. Trustee Assessment

The Board of Trustees will review the Trustee self-assessment report.

Doreen Martinez: Doreen Martinez referenced the 2017 & 2018 Board of Trustee Assessment in board packets. I feel that for the most part we have assessed ourselves as "meeting requirements". I wanted to look at any item that we scored below a 4. We had a few comments at 2. Overall within in the group it balanced that we were "meeting requirements". Referenced questions that fell below 4. One of the lower scores was to the statement "Board has method in place for new board member orientation and ongoing board member training." That statement was at 3.57. Any discussion?

Lyndell Gairaud: I think that once you are on the board you don't really know what is happening with the new board member that comes in. Maybe we set up a tour of library and explanation of meeting times or do we need to do a little more or less for new board members? Maybe Stephanie Garcia can speak of this as the newest board member.

Stephanie Garcia: I didn't know much of the functions of the library and was more interested in the policy, budget, and annual plan, those kinds of things. I was given those items and they were extremely helpful. Maybe an offline meet and greet would be helpful.

Doreen Martinez: We need to address this topic as we will be having a new board member coming on. I will stay on top of this and we can work to set up a meet and greet. The next section that was a little low was number 13 "I am familiar with state and federal laws governing libraries." We have the opportunity to attend those type of trainings when we attend the state conferences. There is also some information that is online and we posted a video regarding library law in Colorado last year I believe. We are still falling "above meets" in this category as a whole, but I wanted to point out that there are opportunities to attend trainings and there is some information online that we can all take advantage of. If there is ever a question, we are here to support each other. We can also ask our attorney for answers on state and federal laws.

Jon Walker: Periodically we have invited a representative from the state library to speak to the board about library law. So if the board would like to do that again, I can reach out to the state library and set that up.

Stephanie Garcia: Does the board ever do a retreat, just a board retreat?

Jon Walker: Yes, we did one a few years ago and that is a possibility to do it again. Board members discussed different ideas and timelines for having board retreats. All members agreed it was a good idea and want to start having board retreats.

Doreen Martinez: I will look into doing a retreat maybe in May. We can have offline conversations to talk about when we do these retreats. The next couple of lower scores were #21 and #32. Referencing #21 "the board is politically active, advocating for libraries in the public arena". I feel we just haven't had an opportunity to do that. However, the time is now for that to happen.

WORK SESSION AGENDA

February 19, 2019

Number 32 “the board is effective in using committee structure to accomplish its’ work”. We have had to employee that from time to time but it is just dependent on what is happening in the library and on the board. Again, I think that is something that we are going to be utilizing more as a board in the upcoming months. I felt overall very satisfied with the assessment.

Stephanie Garcia: I have a question on policies of the library and how those are reviewed?

Jon Walker: Our goal is to bring a section to the board every year and comprehensibly look at it. We have 5 or 6 chapters of policies that include employment policy, customer service policy, financial policy, IT policy, etc. There are actually 3 on the agenda to bring to the board this year. They are the employment guidelines, financial policies and eventually IT policies which will come later as we have a new IT director. Our goal is to do one chapter every year.

Discussion amongst Trustees on what policies may or may not need to be changed.

We do track when policies are updated. The policies are all online on our website and any revision dates are indicated.

Frederick Quintana: I would suggest that we include on our agenda a policy item. Doesn’t mean we always have to make use of it, but if we as a board need to review a policy we have a place on our agenda to do that. I would like to hear what others think about that. We would have to make that amendment to our bylaws as our agenda is set by our bylaws.

Doreen Martinez: Or we could make it a discussion item on the work session agenda or new business on the regular agenda.

Discussion amongst Trustees on ideas of how to handle Frederick Quintana’s suggestion.

Doreen: I will wrap this up and say we will see how things pan out with our vacancy being filled and that will be the driver for our initial retreat. At that time we will discuss a few things including our attention to policy, the times we will set up for an annual retreat and we will look at something regarding library law. We will discuss it again in the next month or two.

F. Audit Committee

The Board of Trustees Audit Committee membership and upcoming schedule will be reviewed and discussed.

Jon Walker: In January Marlene Bregar, Jim Stuart and Phil Mancha had been appointed to the Audit Committee. With Jim Stuart’s resignation there is now a vacancy. Sherri Baca will talk to you about the committee and give a time line to help facilitate your discussion on this.

Sherri Baca: The Audit Committee is really important to the library district. The Audit Committees role includes overseeing the audit procurement. You are also a communication link between the independent auditor and the Board of Trustees. They are also the group of individuals who are informed of a number of important matters that arise in any financial audit. The auditors are on site now. This week is the audit field work. Their job is to report to the Audit Committee their findings, recommendations or deficiencies. Board bylaws state that there be three Trustees on the Audit Committee. I and Jon Walker support that function as well. The next meeting is on June 18th at 12:30. The auditor will be onsite to deliver their report in the form of a CAFR to the board. That gives you a quick rundown of the next steps for the Audit Committee. It is a really important piece to our financial oversight of the organization.

Phil Mancha: How would you like us to proceed with this? (Addressed to Trustees) We have met

WORK SESSION AGENDA

February 19, 2019

once. Is that satisfactory with you? Should there be more communication?

Sherry Baca: Any time you want more time with auditor is fantastic. We do one week of field work in January with final being in March. In the meantime an audit committee could meet. It is just what you prefer. It is open to what you would like to see. We can make any changes for future audits for sure.

Discussion among Trustees on ideas for more meetings.

Doreen Martinez: Next year's audit we will restructure more meetings. With Jim Stuart's resignation there is an open position. I have asked Fredrick Quintana to step into that position and he has agreed to do it. I would like to make that appointment. All agreed.

IV. ADJOURNMENT

Reminder: The Regular Board Meeting will be held on Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. at Rawlings Library, 4th floor in Ryals Room. She adjourned the meeting at 3:47 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by:

Sonya West

Executive Assistant